Saturday, December 24, 2005

'Twas the ... oh you know

I had to work today. This is the second year in a row I've worked Christmas weekend. Doesn't seem fair, but what can you do? I was gone most of the week, and I didn't want anyone else to have to change their plans on short notice, but still. Maybe next week I'll put myself down on the newsroom calendar to be off for Christmas.

There was a fatal accident here Friday night. A car with five teenagers ran a stop sign on a county road and collided with a car driven by a local woman. A 16-year-old died and three others plus the woman in the other car were flown to a larger hospital overnight. One of the other kids might be paralyzed, but our reporter didn't get any confirmation on that. It would be horrible to lose a loved one or have them injured like that at any time, but at Christmas it must be a hundred times worse, with the unopened presents reminding them of the tragedy long after they should have been opened. I don't know any of the families, but I send some prayers their way.

Tomorrow for us, just a quiet day is planned. It's supposed to be around 60 degrees, so we're planning on throwing some steaks on the grill sometime in the afternoon. Presents in the morning, of course. Not too early, because we like to sleep in. Although, even though I'm all grown up, I do find it difficult to get to sleep on Christmas Eve, just like when I was a kid.

Hope you and yours have a good one Sunday, no matter what (of if) you celebrate.

No comments: