Monday, December 05, 2005

A bit tired

My legs hurt. Like I've been walking all day. But I haven't. Haven't even taken a walk with the dog today (it was only in the 30s).

I took Decadron for the first time this morning. It's a steroid that's supposed to help keep me from having an allergic reaction to the Taxotere. I don't know if that's the cause of my leg pain or if it's the Muga test I had today. I think I talked about this before. Basically, I have my blood drawn, the tech adds some radiological material to it, lets it set up for about half and hour and then injects it back in my body. A special camera that picks up the radiation then takes a picture of of my body. Today they focused on my chest to see if my heart is in good enough shape. I have to have an output of 50 percent. I think it's mainly in relation to getting the Herceptin, as that can cause heart damage itself (not permanent, though.) I'll have to have this test about every eight weeks to make sure I'm OK.

Tomorrow is the first chemo with the Taxotere. I'm a little nervous. It has the same basic side effects as the previous drugs I had, but also there can be numbness or pain in the hands, and fingernail discoloration (in rare cases, the fingernails can fall out). I could react completely different with this one as far as the nausea, or it could be the same as the last rounds. I hope I don't have problems with my hands, since that could make working on a computer difficult. Tune in Wednesday to find out.

No comments: