Tuesday, August 09, 2005

One down

I'm home from my first chemo treatment. Met with the doc first, and she said my MUMER test or whatever it was Friday turned out OK, so my ticker is good.

It was about as they had already described it for me, and the nurses went through each step and what all the side effects would likely be, which medicines to take when, etc. When they started one of the pre-treatment drugs, I got a bit light headed. Have you seen "That '70s Show," where Eric was in the basement getting high with his friends, and his dad calls him up the kitchen to chew him out for something, and all Eric can focus on is how the kitchen wallpaper is scrolling up or side to side while the clock and the shelves stary staionary? That's exactly what I saw. It was kind of cool, really.

Then I started getting sleepy. I think by the time they had finished "pushing" the second drug and started the IV drip on the third one, I was pretty well out of it. I had Dr. Phil and Oprah on, but I don't reallly remember anything about them. I don't think I'll actually be getting too much reading or writing or anything done during treatment itself.

Came right home and rested on the couch for awhile, then went in my room and took about a two-hour nap. I still feel a big groggy, but that's it so far. Ate a half a turkey sanwich with gaucomole before treatment and had some scrambled eggs this evening. Not feeling sick yet.

I don't feel too bad now, but I think I will go ahead and take my day off from work tomorrow. Hopefully I won't need much more than that, but we'll see.

So I'll finish this up and get back to "Rock Star: INXS." Jordis is singing "Layla." I'll have to go put my vote in for her later. And see about those downloads from the show they were talking about.

Thanks to everyone for the e-mails and encouraging messages.

No comments: