Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Back to some kind of routine

I can't begin to describe how great it was to get back to work today. And that's a sentence I never thought I'd say about my current job. There's a lot that's wrong with where I work, mostly corporate hoo-ha that makes me want to puke, but have someone tell you that you cannot do something and you realize how important it is to you. I'm grateful to have a job, first off, but also because of the people. Everyone was pretty great, making sure I was feeling good and doing OK and making genuine offers to help, whether it was coming over to help with yardwork or just taking me out to lunch to keep my spirits up. There's even talk of a "bandana Wednesday" (along with the guys' "Tie Tuesday" and the "Tropical Thursday"), just to show some support. That means quite a lot.

Something a bit disheartening happened today though. I stepped out of the shower only to find I had a bit of a hairy chest. Only it was hair that had formerly been on my head. And all morning, I was brushing hairs off my shoulders. But it turned into a nice event, as I went to get my hair cut short during my lunch break. The stylist and I talked about my cancer and people we knew who had also been through it. And when she was done, she wouldn't let me pay. I teared up a little as a I got out to the car. A complete stranger doing something like was amazing. I'll definitely go back to her at whatever point I need a haircut again. Might be awhile, but I'll go back.

No comments: