Sunday, September 04, 2005

Long weekend

Day two of the three-day weekend. Hope everyone is doing OK. I know it's not a holiday for a good number of people in the South and their relatives across the country. I wish I could do something to help. Watching the coverage on the news of all the evacuees and those still looking for help in the devastated areas makes me depressed. I can't believe sometimes I'm seeing something in our own country. And I can't believe the lack of immediate response from the federal government. It's not like this hurricane just appeared out of nowhere in one afternoon and surprised us.

It's been five days since my second treatment, and I feel like I'm getting back to a "normal" level of energy. Seems like for about three or four days, I'm just zapped. I worked Thursday and Friday, and was just dead tired by the time I got home, especially on Friday, probably our busiest day of the week. Saturday was mostly just resting, although I did take Nipper for a short walk. We took a longer walk today, and I actually did a bit of exercise. I bought these dumbells a while back, and today used just the bar without the weights for some upper body training. I'll probably do that for a week and then gradually add weight. I just want to be careful with the port and all, although I've read on some bulletin boards some people are back to their normal activity a month or so after surgery. But maybe they were more active than me to begin with.

I do want to be in decent shape when I have my surgery, which will be about the first of November ("decent shape" being a relative term, of course). And I want to make sure I get back into shape after surgery, within whatever limits I'll have afterwards. I've never been real strict about any kind of exercise regimen, except for walking the dog, but I think this is as good a reason to get serious.

Anyway, that's been my weekend. The excitement for tonight and tomorrow will probably be laundry. I'm pretty thankful for something so boring, really, considering how many people are just trying to survive in this world.

Take care.

P.S. Anyone can now make comments again, not just registered bloggers. I changed that for awhile because of the stupid spammers.

No comments: