Sunday, May 20, 2007

One week

It was a week ago as I write this that Mom, Dad and I were taking Nipper to the vet for the last time. It's been an up and down type of day for Mom and I. Little things have sent us into tears, but we've also shared some good and funny memories of him today. I found some more pictures and am uploading them to flickr now. Mom has some on her computer that I want copies of, and I'm sure I've got some she doesn't have either. I'd just like to get them all together for now and save backup copies on disk.

I have gotten four sympathy cards this last week. Who would have thought that? One was an e-card from a friend; one from a co-worker and her daughter, who recently lost a dog as well; one was from the vet's office, signed by the staff and included a little pin of an angel dog; and one was from some friends who lost their dog last year (she called me at work, too, after getting my e-mail about Nipper. That was sweet). The last two came in the mail yesterday, so when I got home from work, I ended up having a good cry (again).

Haven't done anything yet with Nipper's ashes. I haven't put away any of his things, either. Mom's last week at work before going into (semi) retirement is this week, so maybe after that's over and she doesn't have to sleep during the day, we'll have a little "memorial service" and do something. Maybe we can grill some hamburgers, and toss out the bites of burger and chips we would have given him along with his ashes. Something for the road. I'm kidding, or course. Sort of.

No comments: