Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Nervous night

Always nice to end the night on a nerve-wracking note. Not.

We'd been watching the Jesse Stone movie on the local CBS station to keep tabs on the severe weather. Mostly it was out west of us, but progressing our way. And around 9:30 or so, off go the sirens. Now of course the big joke is that when the sirens go off, good Kansans head out to go watch. Well, memories of Greensburg are still a bit too fresh, so we headed to my closet -- with no basement it's probably the closest thing we have to a shelter.

We grabbed some important things and went to the closet with the portable radio and hung out there for awhile listening to the heavy rain and then came the BONK ... BONK ... THUD of very large hail -- up to tennis ball sized, according to the news reports. I believe it, because when we did take a look outside several minutes later, there were still some large hail stones in the yard. Things seemed like they were quieting down when the rain picked up and more hail starting coming down ... and then the sirens went off again. I wouldn't be surprised if they did that in an attempt to keep people at home instead of driving around gawking.

Doesn't seem to be much damage, but I'll go take a peek at the roof when it's light in the morning and see if I can tell if there's any damage. Not that I'm a expert or anything, but the roof has been through one big hail storm since I bought the place, so maybe another will mean a new roof is in order.

Anyway, it's quiet now, and I'm pooped, so it's off to bed.

No comments: