Saturday, May 05, 2007

Greensburg

While I was having a quiet night last night, the people of Greensburg, Kan., were living through hell. About 9:45 p.m. a tornado, reported to be a mile wide, literally destroyed the town.

I've been watching the coverage on Wichita stations (well, two of them. Where are you, KSN?) and it's just amazing. From the aerial shots, it looks like only the grain elevator is left standing. The downtown is gone and most of the homes are flattened or damaged beyond repair. It's a prety scary reminder of just what can happen.

Right now, there's another storm heading for Greensburg. Hope everyone there will be OK. We've got a storm warning where I live now, too, but I think I'll just get the western edge of it where I am, and they're saying there doesn't appear to be tornadic. But later on could be another question. I've already got my portable radio, Nipper's leash and some other things by the door in case it turns bad and I need to make a run for Dad's house, where he at least has the cellar and a small hallway that's in the middle of the house. That's one bad thing about my house -- pretty much all the rooms have at least one exterior wall, so there's not an obvious place to go in case of tornado.

No comments: