Friday, May 04, 2007

It's quiet

It is nice to have the house to myself, although once in a while it just feels too quiet. It is kind of nice to have someone to talk to once in a while. At least someone who will talk back. I talk to Nipper all the time but the conversation is kind of one-sided.

I should be mowing the back yard right now, but I got hungry and decided a hot dog cooked over a fire would be good. I'd have dad over (since he gave me the fire pit for Christmas), but he said his allergies are making him feel not so good. Maybe next week. So I'm sitting here as the wood in the fire pit is slowly trying to burn and about a dozen turkey vultures watch me from the big old cottonwood on my property. They don't perch there often, but it's neat when they do. Once in a while, they ust feel crowded because one will seem to push another off a branch, and it will soar around for a few minutes, then return.

Nipper seems to be doing much better. He had a bad little episode last night, bad enough I actuallly called my vet's emergency number to talk to her. She recommended an aspirin to help the pain and help him relax enough to rest, which it did. He seemed fine this morning, so I took him in this afternoon for his scheduled annual checkup. She said everything seemed fine -- she didn't feel anything strange and all his vital signs are OK. So maybe he just ate something bad. Imagine that -- Nipper eating something he shouldn't.

(Oops. Had to restart the fire in the fire pit, and also now all the turkey vultures have flown the coop.)

Took Nip for his evening walk, and maybe we should hae gone earlier while it was still cool. It warmed up pretty good late this afternoon after the clouds went away. We're supposed to be in line for some severe weather, but it looks like all the thunderheads are building up north and west of us, which means we'll miss out.

I guess mowing is on the list of things to do tomorrow. Even if I get ambitious and do the back yard tonight, I still have the hill to do. I did one part of it last Sunday and already you can't even tell. Also tomorrow I'd like to at least start on getting a new flower bed prepared. I bought some things through a catalog that had a $25 coupon in it, so I'd like to start something out front between the porch and the garage.

Well, the fire is burning pretty good, so it's time to get cook dinner I think, followed by a s'more for desser. The mowing can wait until tomorrow!

No comments: