Sunday, November 27, 2005

Winter is here

It's been an odd day today. It started out fairly nice -- sunshine, partly cloudy, temperature around 50. I took Nipper for his walk a little after 10:30 a.m. because I knew that was going to change. But I didn't know just how much.

By the time we got to the campground on the other side of town, the skies had turned gray and a stiff breeze was blowing from the north. By the time we got back home, I was feeling raindrops. The forecast at that time was still calling for just rain during the day, turning to snow overnight with about an inch by morning.

I got some laundry done and started the dishwasher, and then we headed over to dad's, probably around 1 p.m. Within a couple hours, the snow had changed to rain. And it was really coming down. Mom, bro and I left dad's about 5:30. The cars were covered with slush, and the roads were starting to get slushy too. And the wind was howling from the north.

About 8 p.m., the power went out for a few minutes. Mom debated hitting the road for work. The Interstate is closed from about 50 miles east of here to the Colorado line, and checking with the highway patrol, they had already worked one accident on the old U.S. highway.

Mom took off early for work. She called just a bit ago. She was able to get on the Interstate and follow in someone's tracks. Another driver from here caught up to her -- turned out it was a co-worker also on his way in. It took her about twice as long to get to work as normal.

Power was out again for about 20 or 30 minutes, and it just blinked off again. The lights keep flickering. I told Dad he can come over here if he doesn't get power back and wants to keep warm. I'd probably need to go get him since my CRV has available four-wheel drive.

My brother is thinking he might stay an extra day, since this stuff might continue tomorrow morning. They just said on the news travelers are being put up in high schools and community buildings. The interstate might be closed about 60 miles further east.

All this and in eastern Kansas, there were severe thunderstorms and tornados today.

I don't think I'll be sleeping good tonight.

No comments: