Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Treatment Tuesday

So today was my fourth treatment -- and the last for awhile. I'll probably have a lumpectomy on Nov. 1, will see my oncologist sometime before Thanksgiving, but won't have to start back on chemo until after Christmas! Happy holidays, indeed.

Today, I was able to stay awake longer than I have the last couple of times. I came in later too, but I don't know if that had any effect. We got to the cancer center about 10 a.m., waiting a few minutes to see the nurse in the exam room where she checked my weight, blood pressure and temperature, and went over the drugs I'm taking and any other problems I might be having.

After a few more minutes wait, Dr. Fields burst into the room (she's got a LOT of energy) and we chatted a bit. She did the "open your mouth and say ahhh" bit, had me follow her finger with my eyes and how well I could press or pull my arms and legs against hers. Everything seemed to check out OK.

Then it was off to the treatment room, where first I had to give a sample for a pregnancy test. I know they have rules, but come on. I have cancer, feel blechy a lot, am bald and my mother lives with me. How much action do they think I'm getting? Anyway, rules are rules. They mix up the chemo drugs, and then it's time to start. They spray my port site with a freeze spray to numb it, then insert the needle and make sure it's got a good blood draw. First is a couple anti-nausea drugs, followed by three chemo drugs. The first and third ones are "pushed," or when the nurse uses a syringe to infuse it. The second one is through a drip IV. The whole process takes about three hours.

Since we went in later today, I got to have lunch brought to me. It really wasn't too bad -- baked chicken breast, baked potato, corn, a corn/rice/celery soup and I think it was carrot cake and iced tea.

We came home around 1:30 to 2 p.m. and I went right to bed. I didn't wake up until just after 5 p.m. Didn't do too much until dinner, Cream of Wheat and a piece of toast, and continued laying around to watch "Navy NCIS" and "Amazing Race." Had some hot chocolate, snuggled with Nipper a lot and that's about it. Probably going to bed soon, and I imagine I'll be home tomorrow. Then it's a visit with Dr. K on Friday. We'll see then how much smaller the tumor is and how that might effect the surgery and what she might recommend for future treatment.

See you tomorrow.

No comments: