Saturday, March 11, 2006

Time flies

Not that I've been having a lot of fun or anything, though. Not much going on at all, so I haven't had that much to say, I guess.

Radiation is continuing to go well. This week, the doc told me I had a level 1 skin reaction to the radiation, on a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being the highest. But, he said, if he could, he'd actually give a .5 reaction. I've read about some awful side effect to radiation -- severe sunburn-like effect, blisters, open wounds, etc. -- so I continue to be lucky with my reaction to treatment.

I have already gotten the "boost" part of my radiation. It started out as treatment for the whole breast. Then, last week, they said they'd start the six-treatment boost -- specifically targeting the radiation at the lumpectomy sight. The only difference I really noticed was that the machine was aimed from different angles, and each angle had one long blast rather than the two shorter ones with the whole-breast treatment. Thursday was back to the whole-breast treatment, and after Friday, I have only two weeks left to go!

My last MUGA scan came back unchanged, so I am continuing the Herceptin treatment. That's a breeze, though, compared to the earlier chemo drugs. No side effects -- I seem to be over the extremely dry nose -- and it only takes a couple hours or less. It's a nice break during the work week.

Nipper had a difficult time through the last week, however. It was Sunday or Monday when we noticed he was having a real hard time getting up and down, getting up on the couch or beds, etc. I gave him dog aspirin, and that seemed to help a little, but he just wasn't his usual self. Mom e-mailed me at work Wednesday and said he was hardly moving around and even seemed a little depressed, so I called the vet and got an appointment for the next day.

It seems to be his arthritis was acting up again. He wears a magnetic collar and eats a senior formula dogfood with glucosimine, but this was hitting him pretty hard. The vet gave us a sample of a new anti-inflammatory for dogs with arthritis and said if it is arthritis, we should see a change in about a week. Well, it only took one pill for him to be about 10 times better. By the time I got home from work Friday, he was almost his old self, wiggling around and dancing when he gets excited. He still has a little trouble getting up on the furniture and is slow to sit up or lie down, but he's much better. It's good to see.

The vet said it could be he might just need a little extra help with the arthritis in cold weather, but there is the chance he might need go on some medication permanently. Hopefully, that won't be the case just yet. At least it's warming up and we can get out for walks a bit more often now. We could both stand to lose a few pounds.

No comments: