Sunday, March 26, 2006

Spring is in the air

The turkey buzzards are soaring and skunks are spraying, looking for mates. It's spring again on the creek.

Not exactly picturesque, but I was pretty excited to see a couple of turkey buzzards gliding on the winds when I took Nipper for a walk this afternoon. Aside from the two geese I saw when I first looked at this house, they were the first critters I saw when I bought the place.

It was moving-in day, and I arrived a bit before everyone else to meet the guys delivering the new stove. After they got it in, I went out to unload some things from the car when a shadow passed by. I looked around and here came a big, black bird, wings outstretched, right over the driveway. And then another, and another and another ... Probably a dozen in all, rising up from the cottonwoods along the creek just north of me. I feared this was some kind of omen about my future in the house, but I've come to look forward to seeing the buzzards. It's pretty cool to be driving home and see this cloud of birds a few blocks ahead where my house is. They circle around the creek for awhile, dipping and diving with just a slight tip of a wing. Sometimes it looks they're playing with each other, seeing how close they can get without actually hitting each other, or who can hover on an updraft the longest. Then, one by one, or sometimes in two or threes, they zoom off to the east, over the rest of town and into the countryside, in search of something stinky to eat, I imagine. Nature's cleanup crew.

No comments: