Sunday, March 19, 2006

At long last

This weekend, it's been dreary, cold and wet. Finally! We've had only 0.02 inch of rain here since the first of the year, and our last real significant moisture was the snow that fell that weekend I was in the hospital with kidney stones in mid-December!

And now that spring is literally almost upon us (12:19 p.m. Monday locally), we're supposed to get about 10-13 inches of snow by Monday night. Winter gets its last kick in, I guess.

As long as it's not like my senior year in high school, when we had two blizzards within a week's time that left 20-foot drifts over the highways. The first one came while a classmate, a teacher, her husband and youngest son and I were at the state high school journalism contest. What would be a short day trip back home became almost three days. We made it about halfway by the end of the first day and stayed the night at her parents' home. The next day, we got within 10 miles of home, but had to stop because the roads weren't clear. We finally made it home late the next afternoon, as I recall. I don't even really remember how I did at the contest that year.

Today, since there wasn't much point in going outside, I've been wasting some time with this game, Fish Tycoon. It's slow going, and I have trouble keeping my fish alive. I managed to sell my one healthy adult fish for $800 and bought some new fish eggs and tank equipment. And I just checked and the four fish I got out of that batch just had eight fry! Can't sell any yet, though. I've already started over once today, too, so I hope they stay healthy. I think I'm getting way too caught up in this, for as slow a game as it really is.

My last week of radiation is this week! It seems like it's gone by so fast. After this week, I'll just have the Herceptin. Here's hoping everything continues along smoothly.

No comments: