Monday, September 18, 2006

Variety o' stuff

Today was a good day. It started out kind of bad, what with us being short-handed at work. Mondays are always awful because whichever page designer worked Saturday gets Monday off, leaving two people to put together the news section. Today I basically laid out all but four pages of a 12-page news section. That sucked. But then, the other girls in the newsroom took me to lunch to celebrate the news about ending my treatment. They gave me a nice little gift, too. It's kind of a little token, about the size of a quarter, that has "courage" engraved on it. The inside of the box lid says "feel the fear and do it anyway." And that really sums up what I've gone through in the last year. Yes, it was scary facing this disease, but I had to do it anyway. Because the alternative was unthinkable. And I feel like now I can that apply motto to anything. So thanks, guys! You even made my mom get teary-eyed when I showed it to her.

In more mundane news, my iBook needs a new battery. It's down to about two hours of power now, after two years of use. It probably didn't help that when I got this computer, it was my first new one in about 10 years and I was so excited about getting it, I didn't really read the manual. Calibrate the battery? Huh? Oh well, too late. So I was looking a bit ago on Apple's Web site to see how much it would cost, and got to thinking about how next month I'm going to go see my brother, and I'll be taking the train, and that's a long ride, and it'd be a real pain to have to pack my CD player and enough CDs to keep me occupied for that amount of time, and gee, wouldn't it be nice to have an iPod? And of course, Apple just introduced its revamped Nano (now in color!), so it's real tempting. Hey, I've got plastic ... I've got money! I'll think on this for a day or so, though.

No comments: