Thursday, October 11, 2007

I was thinking about a cat ...

... but look what I brought home:


Say hello to Buster, a 13-month old blue heeler. He was a stray, just showed up at someone's house, and then was taken to the refuge run by my vet. She'd had him about three weeks. About all they know about him is that he's not good at herding, and so they suspect maybe he was bought for that purpose, and when he didn't prove to be good, was just let loose.

He's very sweet and mellow, not at all excitable like you'd think a working breed would be. They said he doesn't have separation issues, so that's very good with the concerns I have about being away from the house more with the second job. I'll just need to get a dog door before too long, but he does seem housebroken. When I first let him into the house, he sniffed around a bit and started to lift his leg on a door frame. All I did was make a scolding noise, and he scampered away pretty quick. Same thing when he started to poop in a part of the yard I didn't want him to. He's also pretty timid around new people and loud noises, and when I took him for a walk, he got scared a couple times by some big trucks. It makes me wonder what's happened to this guy to make him that way.

But he seems to be relaxing now and maybe getting used to the idea that this is home. I'm on vacation until next Wednesday, so we'll have some time to get to know each other. Really, I'm pretty happy to have come home with a dog. I like cats, but they're just not the same. I'm sure a cat person would feel the same thing about dogs. But I'm not a real outgoing person, and having a dog makes me more outgoing. I get out around the neighborhood, see what's going on, chat with the neighbors. I'd been a bit worried that with a cat, I might have gotten a bit too reclusive.

I can tell tonight, though, it has been far too long since I've been walking!

No comments: