Sunday, October 14, 2007

Buster

Buster is adjusting pretty well to his new home. And we're adjusting to having a dog in the house again. It's a good adjustment, though.

He's so much the opposite of Nipper, though. Nipper was definatley an alpha dog. Nipper would listen to you if he wanted. He took up most of the bed, or couch or whatever he wanted to lay on. He decided when it was time to play, and when he wanted his walk, you'd better be ready! Part of that is my own fault. I didn't understand the particulars of canine communication, and so probably encouraged a lot of his alpha behavior. We eventually came to an understanding, and I think in some way he saw me as an equal. Which is better than being thought of as below him in the pecking order.

Buster, though, is not an alpha. He comes almost every time I call him, and he'll even come to a sit when he gets to me. I can roll him on his back with no problem. When I say no, he stops what he's doing. Usually. He does tend to bump my hand to be petted or use his teeth when giving me kisses or playing. He's a young guy, still, really, so a lot of that is puppy behavior, but he still needs to learn to stop doing it.

We're getting the sleeping arrangements worked out. After he rolled off the side of the bed last night, he curled up near my feet and seemed a lot more restful there, rather than on "his side" of the bed, like Nipper preferred. Buster doesn't use a pillow, either.

Buster is also a lot more attentive to sounds. He reacts to noise from the TV, especially kids and other high-pitched sounds but also dogs and loud noises. He notices just about every vehicle that passes by, but he doesn't startle at vehicles going over the nearby wooden bridge like he did the first day or so.

While I was at work today, Mom discovered he likes chasing a ball. I tried tossing one ball for him that first day, a hard rubber one that has a little jingle bell inside, but he never showed interest. Mom tried another ball that didn't make sound, and said he had fun chasing that one. So tonight, when he obviously needed to burn off some energy, I took him out for a bit and we had fun with the ball. Although I realized after a bit what it might sound like to the neighbors when I'm shouting "Get the ball Buster!" Oh well.

No comments: