Sunday, October 08, 2006

Greetings from New Mexico!

My brother and I are taking it kind of easy today. He's got those person-not-on-vacation things to do like laundry, so it's a quiet day.

Got in to the train station in Albuquerque Friday afternoon, and we had dinner at my mom's favorite Mexican restaraunt. Definately better than anything we can get in Kansas. Then we kind of killed some time until rush hour traffic was over and headed for his home. We both weren't feeling that great (me a headached, him still some pain from some dentist work the day before) so we took it easy that night.

Saturday we both felt a lot better, so we headed out to the White Sands Missile Base, where the Trinity Site is located. It was kind of humbling to be standing on the spot where the first atomic bomb was exploded, and think of the power it held and the way it's changed the world.

After lunch we went to the open house at the Very Large Array. If you've seen the movie "Contact" with Jodi Foster, that's the place. It was pretty cool to see those huge antennas up close and watch them moving in unison.

Hope I got some good pictures. I've still got a few shots on my first roll left. I'm saving plenty of film for the balloon fiesta, though! We're probably going to wait until Thursday to go to it, since it looks like cloudy weather until then. But we'll probably be in Alburquerque at least one other day, so I'm sure I'll see some balloons floating around before then.

No comments: