Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Flashback

One year ago today:
I can't begin to describe how great it was to get back to work today

It was two weeks after my first chemo, after they took my first CBC (blood test) at the cancer center and were shocked at how low my white blood cell count was (near zero). I had to stay home from work for a week, and that was probably the lowest time I had through this whole journey. I felt fine, but here was the first indication that something was seriously wrong with me, that something as simple as a cold could endanger my life! Of course, I spent the next four months or so in the "isolation chamber" at work, which got kind of depressing at times. But that's another flashback.

Also on this day last year:
I stepped out of the shower only to find I had a bit of a hairy chest. Only it was hair that had formerly been on my head. And all morning, I was brushing hairs off my shoulders.

Fortunately, my hair has now grown back nicely. Maybe a bit grayer. I liked having curly hair (it was more wavy than curly), but the last week or so it seems to be going back to its original straightness. I'm just glad I have it.

Maybe a dye job is in order.

No comments: