Sunday, February 05, 2012

Pigs have wings


Well, not really, so don't worry about doing all those things you said you'd do when pigs fly.

Rather, I winged it with some pork chops this evening.

I really had no idea what I would do with the pork chops when I bought them on a whim at the local grocery store recently. Today, for some reason I had a craving for pork chops with apples. Not the Peter Brady "porkchops and applesauce," but something a bit more.

But I couldn't really find any recipes online that sounded like what I want. So I just kind of put something together based on the recipes I did find. So here's what I did:

3 thick cut boneless pork chops
1 apple, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1 cup apple juice
2 Tablespoons flour

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Brown pork chops in a little oil in dutch oven, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove pork chops to a plate.

Put onions and apple in dutch oven and saute, until onions turn translucent. Add apple juice and flour, stir until it starts to thicken.

Put pork chops back in dutch oven with the onion/apple sauce. Place in oven until meat is done, about 20 minutes.


Pretty simple, and it turned out pretty good. I think if I do this again, I'd add a little spice of some kind. Maybe some cinnamon, to go with the apple? Suggestions?

Served it with some buttery-garlic brown rice and some broccoli with a little Parmesan cheese. Not a bad meal. I've been eating kinda crappy the last week, so hopefully this will start off a better week.

No comments: