Saturday, July 05, 2008

Rock in America

Almost forgot about the best part of my July 4 weekend. Night Ranger played in concert here Thursday night, and it was totally awesome! They weren't the biggest band of the 80s, but I had forgotton just how many good songs they really had (and of course, as soon as I got home I downloaded their greatest hits album). And they still put on a great show, even if Jack Blades seems to like the sound of his own voice. Forgot the comedy, man, and just play the music.

They did a terrific version of "Goodbye," first introducing the piano player, Chicago's Christian Matthew Cullen, who played a few minutes of blues, and then went into the song, with Kelly Keagy on the vocals, accompanied through most of it by just the piano. And then BAM! the rest of the band joined in full-force for the end. Great work on a great song. I don't know that I cared that much for the one new song they played off their new album "Hole in the Sun." And on the video screens they had some weird animated dancing robots that without any kind of context didn't make much sense.

Best of the night had to be their best-known song, "Sister Christian," which of course they saved for the encore. I was sitting about midway through the seating area and you could easily hear the audience singing along through the whole thing. They finished off the night with "You Can Still Rock in America." Overall, it was better than I expected. A lot of times at this festival, they get the "old washed-up rock stars tour," but these guys are far above that.

Oh, and the guitarist, Brad Gillis? Damn hot. He was walking through the crowd before the show and was about 10 feet away from me several times. I didn't realize who he was until he was onstage, though; I just thought he was another guy on the crew because the guy he was walking around with had "roadie" written all over him. If only I'd known.

No comments: