Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Good news and eh kind of news

It's been a busy week, what with medical appointments every day for three days.

Today was a follow-up on my kidney stone. I had an X-ray this morning before meeting with the urologist, and he said it showed the left kidney is clean, and the small stone in my right kidney hasn't grown any. So that's at least good news. He said I could go ahead and have another lithotripsy and go ahead and get rid of that one, or wait and see if I pass it. I decided to wait and see. I'm just really tired of having things done to me, so even if it causes me pain again, I'd rather skip another visit to the OR. But he said if I drink plenty of water and avoid too much tea and cranberry juice (there's some substance in those that cause stones), it shouldn't grow.

Tuesday was my first visit with the radiation oncologist. I was impressed he could recite my treatment history without having my file or any notes in front of him. He answered my questions nicely, too. We met with a nurse first (Kelly, one of my favorite chemo nurses. She's a "floater," working as a fill-in, and is working in the radiation side for a while) and had the usual rundown of history and so forth. Then we met with the doc and his assistant (her name is Babe, believe it or not) and kind of went through some of the same info. The doc explained what else I would go through that day and what the radiation sessions would be like. Then a brief exam, and it was off to have a CT scan so they determine what radiation dosage I would get and to help them pinpoint what areas to radiate. The radiation tech had me lay on the scanner's table, and get into the position I'll be in during the treatment. Basically, I lay flat on my back with my left arm above my head. I was on a pillow full of Styrofoam pellets that was then vacuum-sealed so I can lay in the same position at each treatment. Then the doc came in and drew on my chest and side with a Sharpie, then the tech (who had VERY cold hands) drew some more. His marks were covered over with tape so they don't wash off. Those marks will be used when I go back tomorrow to finish the set-up process and to put the tattoos on me that they'll use to line up the equipment. It was kind of hard to hold still while they were marking up my sides, 'cause I'm awful ticklish. But I managed. Then it was into the scanner. This all took a little under a half hour.

I always thought if I got a tattoo, it would at least be something cool. But alas, my first ones will be little dots on my chest. They'll use these to help make sure I get radiated in the same place each time. I start the treatments on Monday, and it'll done five days a week for seven weeks. Most of the treatments will radiate the whole breast, but the last ones will be what they call a "boost," which are directed specifically at the site where the lump was. The actual treatment takes only about 10 minutes. I'll probably try to schedule it during an extra-long lunch hour, since the afternoon will work better with our production schedule at work.

After that, I'm basically done. Except for the Herceptin treatment, which may be extended. Monday, I had a MUGA scan, which basically measures how my heart is doing. Herceptin is known to cause heart damage, and I have to have a result of at least 50 percent to continue treatment. This time the result was 52 percent, down from 59 at the last one in December and 65 percent at my first one in August. When the cancer center called about it this morning, they said my oncologist said I have a choice. I can continue the Herceptin for four weeks or I can halt it for four weeks. Either way, I'll have another MUGA scan in four weeks. I haven't made up my mind yet. I feel fine, but that might not necessarily be an indicator something is wrong. I suppose if I decide to continue it, I can always change my mind if I start feeling funny.

The busy week has come to an end, though. Tomorrow, it's back to my usual schedule. At least this has made for a short work week. I hope I remember what my job actually is.

No comments: