Tuesday, November 01, 2011

BE the Change

“If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. ... We need not wait to see what others do.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi


This is, near as I can tell from an hour or so of research, the source of the quote often attributed to Gandhi, "Be the change you want to see in the world."

No matter which he really said, Gandhi's point is obvious: If there is something you don't like about the world, in order to change it, you have to start with yourself.

Michael Jackson echoed the thought in "Man in the Mirror." Carl Jung had the same thought, but started with the external: "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."

So when something irritates you about the world, take a good look at yourself. If you look at someone who appears different from you — wether it be the way they dress, if they have (or don't have) tattoos or piercings, the color of their skin, how they have their hair, if they follow a certain fashion trend — and your first reaction is to make fun of them or look down on them, you should ask yourself "Why should that bother me?" How someone else creates their appearance does not have any effect on your life. If you laugh at them or trash talk them for it, YOU are the one with the problem.

If you think we have fallen down a slippery slope away from respect and civil discourse in our discussions of politics, religion and social issues, then look at your own behavior. How do you address others? If you continually post things in social media or say things among friends friends just to say "Look how stupid/evil/crazy the Republicans/Democrats/Christians
/Muslims/hipsters/jocks/nerds/whatevergroupIdon'tlike are," then you're not exactly contributing to civil discourse and respect, are you?

The kind of attitudes and energy you put out in the world have an effect on the rest of the world. We are all connected. If you don't like the state of the world, there is something you can do about it. Start with yourself. BE the change. Don't wait to see what others do.

2 comments:

Corvi said...

Jung's point hits home. In AA, they say, "When I point a finger at you, I have three fingers pointing back at me." (Bonus grating points for an impenetrable southern accent.) We also say, "If you spot it, you got it."

So, yeah, the path to freedom is looking at myself for change, rather than waiting for someone else to change, 'cause that ain't gonna happen.

Emily said...

About 25 years ago I used almost the same words, then again about 15 years ago on myself. A lot of my friends did too. But, I don't know what happened to the 4th or 5th tier of people out there, 'cause I don't like what a lot of mankind has become - maybe they changed too much.

I am hoping that we become the environment that surrounds me now that I like - family, friends, neighbors, community. I know there are lots of "communities" like mine out there and I hope they can come together somehow.