Sunday, September 18, 2011

Some juicy reading

My latest healthy thing:


Green juice. It's better than you might think.

I got turned on to this after reading Kris Carr's "Crazy Sexy Diet." Her "Crazy Sexy Cancer" documentary is pretty inspiring, and the diet book (I would have called "lifestyle" rather than diet, myself) is pretty convincing that all that processed food is a big part in why Americans are so unhealthy today.

So I've been trying to eat better. I wasn't 100% successful at first, because I found out at my cancer checkup in July that I have iron-deficiency anemia.So I upped my intake of foods that are high in iron — leafy greens are great for that. That seems to have worked, because a month later, at a follow-up appointment, my iron levels were up!

I think part of it was the juicing. After a friend sent me her unused juicer, I've been trying to use it at least once a week. I'd like to do it more often, but it's kind of time consuming. Not the juicing itself, mind you, but the prep and cleanup! And still having two jobs, plus trying to make my own foods rather than eating out or just getting processed foods can make time kinda tight. But I'd rather do what I can to not have cancer again, so that's what I do.

Anyway, the above green juice today was made with romaine, kale, strawberries, half an organic cucumber, a banana, a sliver of ginger and a carrot and some chard, both of those right out of my friend Max's garden today. It was pretty good, too. Personally, I think the ginger and cucumber is what makes it really good.

And doing this is convincing me I need to get off my butt and actually have a vegetable garden next year.

No comments: