Monday, December 07, 2009

Will they finally be right?

So three times already in the last couple months we've been told THE BIG STORM IS COMING! MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR WINTER SAFETY KIT IN THE CAR! RUSH THE GROCERY STORE! BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES! IT'S THE STORM OF THE ... oh, you get the idea. And three times we got, at most, a dusting of the white stuff.

Yes, it's always a good idea to be prepared for a big winter storm, and I guess that's especially true for me since I have a 20 mile drive to my work. But I have to wonder if the TV news media doesn't make a bigger deal about it all than is really necessary. I mean, one of the local news stations even started off the 10 p.m. newscast with a story about how they make the same report about "the big storm" year after year after year after year.

So what's the deal? Is it all about ratings? Is everybody trying to be the Weather Channel, with their heroic, daring on-the-scene reporters? Probably. It just seems like everybody's trying to outdo each other on the local weather. I have to laugh when I watch one of the other Wichita stations and their weather guy is literally surrounded by a bank of monitors. None of which seem to actually be showing anything, by the way.

It's been snowing lightly most of the day, and, depending on where you look, we'll get anywhere from a trace to 12+ inches of snow by tomorrow night. Whatever.

Guess I'll go make sure I've got a blanket and stuff in the car. You never know, after all.

No comments: