Monday, August 13, 2007

Snoozer

So last night/early this morning was supposed to be best viewing of the Perseid meteor shower. The viewing was supposed to be best after midnight, so, since I don't have to work today, I stayed up for it. I went out about 1:30, and sat on the front porch bench, where I would have the best view of the northeast sky. I stayed out until I started to get too sleepy, until a bit after 2 a.m.

I saw one meteor. Possibly two others, I can't say for sure. Kind of a disappointment. Although there may have been some clouds near the horizon, and there is a street light near my house, so maybe I should have hopped in the car or walked up the road a bit, where I'd be out in the country.

I guess it wasn't a total bust, though. It was a warm night, and I enjoyed listening to the cricket concert -- what sounded like thousands of them, all chirping in unison. And then there's the occasional sound of a night bird or other critter that makes you think "what in hell was that?" And I did see quite a few stars and other things, too. Up to the north-northeast, I saw some red, twinkley object that at first I thought might be Mars, but then a bit later I looked farther east and there was a red, non-twinkley object. So I'm not sure what was what. Then I saw somethng moving in a northerly direction that at first was fairly bright, but quickly dimmed. I could still follow it for about 20 or 30 seconds, though, so I wonder if that wasn't the space shuttle or maybe the space station.

I was too tired to go look up any info online then, and, well, since I was up so late, I'm still kind of sleepy now. So today's big goal is getting laundry done. My first load is almost done and ready to hang out. Shouldn't take too long to dry today -- it's 10 a.m. and the air conditioner just kicked on. Gonna be a hot one again.

No comments: