Monday, July 23, 2007

What I'm reading

Wow, didn't realize how long it had been since my last post. I have some things going on, but not really something I care to put out on the Web right now. Maybe later.

I have been doing a lot reading, so maybe I'll discuss that. One of the recent books I read was Flesh and Bone. Not a good book to read on your lunch hour. It's actually written by two guys, one of whom is the founder of the (real) Body Farm, a research facility in Tennesse where they study the decomposition of bodies. The forensics in this was VERY desecriptive (hence the warning about lunch) and that stuff was interesting. The rest of the book was just kind of *eh*. I really didn't care for the relationship stuff and, really, did we need a detailed descripton and/or the history of EVERY street the main character drove on?

I've also read the two books in Jasper Fforde's "Nursery Crimes" series, The Big Over Easy and The Fourth Bear. These were great, if you like a mystery with some humor in it. Or if you just like something a bit absurd, a bit along the lines of Douglas Adams' Hitchikers' Guide to the Galaxy series (hmmm ... Jasper Fforde ... Ford Prefect?). If you don't remember much about nursery rhymes, though, a lot of the books will be over your head.

Right now, I'm reading a mystery that is also a bit unusual. Three Bags Full is about the murder of an Irish shepherd, told from the point of view of the detectives ... his sheep. Very smart sheep. So far it's very entetaining, and the sheep are already putting the clues together. Even if they don't necessarily know what a "clue" is.

That's about it for now. Later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you like the "Nursery Crimes" series be sure to check out his "Thursday Next" books. -bro