Friday, June 08, 2007

Relay

This year, I made it to the local Relay for Life. I stayed a lot longer than I had planned to, but I'm glad I did. It does the soul some good to see how many people are willing to give their time to help others -- or maybe themselves.

I signed in at the survivor's tent and got my T-shirt and sat down with a few sisters from my support group. They had sandwiches and cheese and fruit and veggie trays, which was great since I didn't go home or get something to eat. At 7 p.m. it was time for the opening ceremonies and the survivor lap. Our support group gathered behind our banner, and somehow we ended up leading off the procession. The photo intern from the newspaper where I work was there, but I'm not sure he recognized me and I probably ended up in a lot of his shots. He just started this week, so I guess it didn't register who I was in my non-work clothes.

That first lap was much like riding in the college's homecoming parade last fall. As we rounded the first turn of the school track, where the teams had pitched their campsites, they stood and applauded all the survivors. It wasn't just the bright sun making our eyes sting. As one of my sisters said, who would have thought you would get applause just for being alive? But we got our chance to honor those teams who have worked so hard through the year with their fundraisers and are still walking now, until sunrise tomorrow. Each joined the parade as we passed by their camps and then took their own lap, so we clapped and cheered as they passed by.

I took a few laps myself over the next hour or so to look at the luminaries. There were quite a few for several of the group's members -- some in memory of the two who have died. I didn't find one with my name on it, but I think the support group's board purchased one for everyone. There were also several for I believe the father of someone I went to junior high school with. There was also one for Tammy Faye and one for Farah Fawcett.

One of our members was the first speaker during the luminary ceremony, which took place about 10 p.m., after all had been "lit" (they used those battery-operated tea lights) and it became dark. She did a great job. After all the speakers and songs, I decided I was pretty tired and decided to take off, and got home about 11 p.m.

I took a hot shower, as I could feel those few laps in my legs, and I've thrown a few clothes in the washing machine so I have something clean to wear tomorrow. I'll be going to my hometown for my 20th class reunion. I got the car washed today but sill need to clean out the inside -- don't want them to think I'm still a slob -- so I'll do that and dry my clothes in the morning. For now, though I'd better turn in.

No comments: