Monday, November 06, 2006

One little, two little, three little ...

There were 10, count them 10, squirrels in my backyard just awhile ago. That's not a record, but I haven't been putting seed out for very long, so it's the most I've seen at once in quite awhile.

There were two on the utility pole at the southeast corner and one on the fence next to the pole; one in the tray feeder, three on the ground around it and one on the wood pile nearby; and four in the small tree just on the other side of the fence. Oops, wait, that's 11 total. They were all being fairly peaceful about eating when one of the ones on the utility pole started chattering, and suddenly ZOOM! There were nine squirrels heading for higher ground! Must have been one of the feral cats wandering into the area.

They still haven't quite made it back to the food yet, and it's been probably 20 minutes since they stopped chattering at the intruder. Funny how they can be so cautious about some things, yet this morning when I went to fill up the tray feeder, the little guy who was there didn't run away until I lifted the scoop full of seed up to the feeder! For a second, I thought I might be able to get him to eat a few seeds right from the scoop.

That's probably my excitement for the day. I'm off since I worked Saturday, and I'm doing laundry and other such exciting things. It's nice out, so a walk with Nipper is on the agenda, too. I'm sure you all wish you had my life.

No comments: