Monday, June 26, 2006

Sad tonight

I got some sad news earlier tonight. The online friend I wrote about earlier this month died Saturday. Some months ago, she had seemed to be getting better, but then found her breast cancer had spread to her brain. They got some of the tumors through surgery and tried radiation and drugs for the others. But it just didn't work. Whenever she posted on the bulletin board through which we met, she always sounded upbeat; even just a week ago her final post on the board sounded better than she probably felt. She kind of went downhill from there, though, having some pain toward the end of the week, but didn't like taking the drugs she had because of the way they made her feel. She died in the ambulance that was taking her to the hospital's hospice care, where they could better manage her pain.

I didn't really know that much about her, other than what we'd discussed about cancer. She lived in the Philadelphia area, she had two cats (as of last Monday, she still had them; I hope they were a comfort). She wasn't on the best of terms with her family. I didn't know her that well, but she provided some good advice and calming words when I first got diagnosed and in my treatment.

Her friend who posted the sad news said that she hoped people would plant a tree in her memory, and others noted she liked red flowers. So maybe when the weather cools, or next spring, I'll plant something for Laura. May she rest in peace.

No comments: