Saturday, June 15, 2013

Indoor/outdoor cat worries




My walk with Buster this morning was delayed for awhile because of rain. A nice, gentle shower! I did get up early and feed Buster and the cats. It was already sprinkling, and a check of the radar showed more on the way, so I went back to bed and listened to it pour. 

At least until I realized Buster had gone outside and never come back in. So I ran out the back door in the downpour, and there he was, curled up in his little safe spot against the foundation on the east side of the house, getting soaked. I called him, and he looked at me with a sad face, like I'd made him go out there or something. Poor guy. I got him back in and dried us off and we dozed until a little after 9 am.

Cool but muggy on our walk. As we were heading back toward home, though, I saw a neighborhood cat that had been hit by a car. It made me kind of sad, especially thinking about how Keaton is still very much an outdoor cat. After we got home I went to check on the cats, and sat on the floor watching the kittens play for a bit. Keaton started to walk by me, but I grabbed her and held her in my lap. Normally, she doesn't like to be held. But this time she let me hold her and pet her for a few minutes. It was kind of sweet.

She seems to be a pretty smart cat, but I do worry about her when she's gone outside for a long time.

No comments: