Monday, August 10, 2009

Rain barrel update

The rain barrels got a good tryout within a few days of being put up. I was working at the mall that night, so didn't get to see the magic happen, though.

After I got home and greeted Buster, I went out to check on them. The one by the northeast corner of the house had been blown over in the storm, so nothing there. I went to the one by the garage (pictured in the previous post) and it was FULL! I was pretty giddy about that (that probably makes me some kind of eco-geek, doesn't it?)

They do both have leaks around the spigot, but they're not big ones, and really, over time, they stopped ... at least until I did use the backyard barrel the other day. Attaching the hose was enough to start it up again, but it's a pretty slow drip anyway. I set the hose up because it had been pretty hot, windy and dry, and my salvia were looking droopy. So I thought I'd put some water on them. Only once the barrel started draining, I got distracted on the computer and so the salvia got almost an entire barrel of water! They did look much perkier that afternoon.

And now it's rained again this morning and BOTH barrels are nearly full.

I would like to put up more next year, and am already making plans, at least in my head, of how to do it.

It was a pretty good rain this morning, and we were under a warning for awhile. I'm off today, so when I woke up and heard some thunder, I thought I'd sleep in while it rained. Buster was already a little anxious, so I got him to jump in bed with me and we snuggled for awhile. He's not a snuggly dog, unless he's afraid, so it was nice to cuddle with him this morning. He's better now, but it's still drizzling a bit, so no walk yet. Hope it clears up, because he's got all that anxious energy to work off! Maybe I should teach him to do yoga with me.

No comments: