Friday, November 16, 2007

Welcome to the 21st century

I bought a cell phone. My very first one. I've resisted until now because I'm just not a phone person. Never was. I just can't sit with some thing on my ear for hours, yakking away. I'd rather be face to face talking. E-mail is great for long distances, even though it's not the same as speaking to someone.

But, having a cell phone would make some things easier, especially where I live in a different town from where I work. And also where my parents live in the town I live in. They can always use e-mail to get ahold of me at work and they're at home, but once in awhile, one of us wasn't near e-mail and we couldn't necessarily get hold of each other right away when needed. So at least now that will be easier.

And it will be easier to deal with problems when I need to arrange some service person to get out to the house or make some other kind of appointment that I really don't want to use a work phone for.

And it would have come in handy on a day like today, where we had a guy come look at the furnace. I could have talked to him myself instead of having to relay messages through Mom or Dad via e-mail and her cell phone. Then I could have gotten the bad news myself. Turns out the heat exchange needs to be replaced. The repair guy said not to use it because it was puting out some carbone monoxide. And the WHUMPing sound it's been making was GAS EXPLODING! Kind of makes me mad at the guy we had check that late last winter and said he couldn't find anything wrong. I think we were pretty damn lucky, really.

Hopefully, the furnace is still under warranty. Then I'll just have to pay parts & labor. Otherwise, time to shell out some big bucks.

No comments: